Charles and I are back from a few days with friends Laura, Neil and our godchildren Emma and Finn to celebrate Thanksgiving. This time away from our usual schedules and environment has given me space for reflection. At the risk of being completely cliched I thought I'd list a few things I'm thankful for:
- My health. One only notices one's health until one isn't healthy. I'm glad that even as time goes by I seem to have fewer than my share of aches, pains and ailments.
- My family. I had the good fortune to be born into a happy, loving and laughing family. I think I take this for granted most of the time. I shouldn't.
- Charles's family. I'm really happy that I married into such a welcoming and fun family.
- My friends. Someone once said that friends are the family you choose. This goes both ways in that friends choose you too. I'm so happy to call on my own and be called, a friend by many.
- My nieces and godchildren. I love being a part of their lives and watching them grow, learn and become people. They are a joy and I'm thankful to their parents for letting us be part of their lives.
- My job. it has been 9+ years and they have been some of the most challenging, rewarding and fun of my life. I'm fortunate to have a career at a company that allows me to continue to grow, learn and be challenged.
- Living here and now. I love historical fiction and playing the What If... Game and wonder what life would be like if I lived during a different time and place. That said, I'm awfully thankful that I live here and now. Who knows what the future will hold? Life may be even better, but now suits me just fine.