I spent some time yesterday afternoon on my Alphabet Project. This time around I focused on exploring backgrounds and shading. It was interesting. I learned a lot about the texture of my watercolor paper (rough) and how my different pencils interact with it. I also discovered that a lot of the graphite came off on my hands.
But the fun really started when I broke out the watercolors. After doing some washes that were disappointingly boring, I realized that spraying color across the page created a very different feel. Even more interesting was how the spray of color mingled and diffused on the paper still wet with washes. All of this playing around with colors is helping me get a good feel for my tools and also how much I have yet to learn. I like where this experimentation is going!